For immediate releases
Palangka Raya, 15 June 2021 – For those looking for some positive news on June 22, 2021, Rainforest: Live is the perfect opportunity to escape into the unknown.
Rainforest: Live is a day of social media activity bringing live wildlife sightings to people from rainforests around the world. This annual event is designed to give people a glimpse into what it’s like to explore a jungle and observe BNF’s conservation activities. It is hoped that Rainforest: Live will be a reminder of all the treasures found in these diverse and unique habitats, and the reasons they’re worth fighting for. People will see orangutans, gibbons, birds, leopards and many other magnificent species they may have never heard of before.
Rainforest: Live was initiated by the Borneo Nature Foundation in 2014 and is now going into its fifth year, after a three-year hiatus. This year, 17 conservation organizations from around the globe have confirmed their participation in the event, reaching millions of people on social media. In 2017, the hashtag #RainforestLive reached over 2.5 million people.
Rainforest: Live 2021 participants will post real-time wildlife and rainforest sightings using the hashtag #RainforestLive on their accounts on various social media channels.
“Rainforest: Live will take advantage of the power of social media to share the knowledge and beauty of the rainforests with people all around the globe,” said Mohamad Burhanudin, Communications Manager of the Borneo Nature Foundation and coordinator of Rainforest: Live.
“Not everyone is lucky enough to experience the wonders of the forest, but social media is a powerful tool to present it to a wider audience. We hope Rainforest: Live will inspire people to care about the rainforest and feel more enthusiastic about protecting nature.”
Simon Husson, Co-Director of Borneo Nature Foundation International, said, “Borneo Nature Foundation organises this international event to raise awareness about rainforest conservation in a positive way.”
“Despite the many serious threats to the rainforest, Rainforest: Live is a day to celebrate all the living things found in this incredibly beautiful habitat. Rainforest: Live is held to share positive images of the rainforest, against a backdrop of forest loss, extinction and deforestation that is usually seen in the media. It is hoped that this event will remind people why rainforests are worth saving,” added Simon.
On the 22nd June, we will go live 24 hours on all of our social media platforms. Simply click the #RainforestLive or #RainforestLive2021 link and you will be taken to the centre of the wonderful rainforests.
Notes to Editor
- We are a not-for-profit wildlife and biodiversity conservation and research organization that protects and safeguards tropical rainforests and the environment in Borneo. BNF is dedicated to conserving Borneo’s biodiversity through research, capacity building, education and locally-led conservation projects. borneonaturefoundation.org
- Find more details about the Rainforest: Live 2021 here: https://www.borneonaturefoundation.org/project/rainforest-live/
- Rainforest: Live images for publication purpose can be downloaded here. Please fully credit all footage.
- Organisations that have confirmed to participate in Rainforest: Live 2021.
- Borneo Nature Foundation
- IUCN Primate Specialist Group Section on Small Apes
- CORE Borneo
- Gunung Palung Orangutan Conservation Program
- Orangutan Foundation
- Little FireFace Project
- Fundación Bioparc
- Orangutan Information Centre
- La Passerelle Conservation
- Selamatkan Yaki
- Prime Earth
- Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation
- Save the Orangutan
- Yayasan Konservasi Ekosistem Alam Nusantara
- Hutan Itu Indonesia
Content Creator and Media Liaison, Borneo Nature Foundation
E-mail: [email protected]